SIGN OUR GUEST BOOK smi_oldboys@yahoo.com

OUR SCHOOL RALLY


Monday, January 19, 2009

Being A Michaelian

A story by an old boy from the batch of 2004.

Time really has flown past quickly. St.Michael’s Institution is yet another year older, taking another step towards the 100th anniversary. From its humble beginnings in a small little hut to its present prestigious building, St.Michael’s has improved with age, giving its students past, present and future a tradition and heritage proud to be a part of. Times change and St.Michael’s too has changed to keep up with the modern tide in its vast developments but one thing remains, the Michaelian Spirit, which matures through the ages.

It is indeed a great honour to have my words in here. But on the other hand, sadness does creep up in me when I left this institution. I started my journey in SMI in year 1994 when I was in my first year of primary school, till the year which I left SMI after I completed my STPM examination and pursued to the Bachelor of Laws (Hons) by King’s College, London under a full scholarship. Whether we are outstanding achievers or those who prefer to contribute silently towards improving our alma mater, I believe each and every of us shines in our own special way. With all my heart, I can say that St. Michael’s is truly my alma mater. I will always cherish the memories and experiences that I had here at St.Michael’s. Never had I imagined that this institution would play in such a pivotal role in moulding me into the person I am today. St.Michael’s has helped me to grow up in many ways, be it emotionally or mentally.

SMI is rich in culture and tradition. The Michaelian Spirit, burns strongly within the students, teachers and staffs of SMI. We hold true of the principles of Faith, Zeal and Community, and it is these simple yet notable principles that have set me on course to be who am I today. Life in St Michael, especially the Michaelians, I’m pretty sure that majority of them are fully equipped in order to face the challenges in their life. Everything, whether it’s in physically or mentally, that they had learnt in this alma mater, are the advantages for these young generations. Critically thinking, wise in decision makings, building up strong spirit, cooperation, friendship, and etc are there for them to learn and to improve on. Of course, spending 13 years in this school, everyone had their chances to know and meet all sorts of friends, and it will be where the place their friendship started.

Learning the concept of ‘Green and White Unite’ is the way of showing the unity among the students. All 2500 students in one school, one community, one mission, one vision, one aim, and it’s the Unity. Green and White Unite concept implemented in year 2003 had strengthened the relationships and ties among the students in school, no matter who they are. As long as you are carrying the title of a ‘Michaelian’, you have the responsibility to know and to learn them. Every Michaelians gathered together at the assembly ground every morning for the daily briefing, and we gathered as one Family with one Spirit. For one and all the great foundation on which we built our life’s dream was our Michaelian experience. Within this experience of interaction and endeavour our spiritual vision was somehow sharpened and they came to realise our dignity as persons, the importance of friendship and mutual acceptance, the potential for greatness when we learn to discover who we are and our God given destiny.

I hope the young Michaelians will be aware regarding on the school’s developments and strong Michaelian Spirit to be instilled in each of them. Originalities and heritage of the school MUST be preserved and traditions must be maintained and passed down to the young generations. As we are going to celebrate our 100th anniversary soon, let it to be a glory and meaningful celebration. It’s meaningless to have first class facilities, if we have the third class mentalities.

Today I pay tribute to St.Michael’s for instilling me the values and principles. I pay my tribute to the teachers who have so graciously helped and guided me through my schooling years. Special thanks must also go to all my friends who made my journey here worthwhile. A special words of thanks to Bro Vincent Corkery who has been my guiding spirit and inspiration. Bro Vincent remains for us not only as the important link between the generations of Michaelians. At the same time, current principal Mr Phoon Chong Chee is also one of the great visionaries who have steered St.Michael’s towards as one of the Malaysia’s premier schools with strong claims to world class excellence. Lastly I salute and thank my beloved former principal Mr Louis Rozario Doss for being my overflowing source of wisdom, joy and inspiration in so many ways.

Thank you once again, and God bless you all.

Being a Michaelian is not all fun and games but we also bear a responsibility to keep our heritage alive. So Michaelians, savour your chance to be a part of the grand institution and keep the Michaelian Spirit alive and in your hearts forever.

Wong Kin Tung AFA
LL.B. (Hons.)(London), Adv.Dip.Acc. (IFA, UK)
Incorporated Financial Accountant
Institute of Financial Accountants, UK


No comments: